Partideño’s Last Will

My grandpa lived in Chalatenango not so far from Potonico and told me different stories about a man called: “The Partideño.” When this man wanted to make someone really rich, he said these words: “You WON!” and he invited them to visit him. In this way, he recruited them and transformed them into their new business partners.

Some people say the Partideño lived 200 years ago in the 1800s. They equally say there is a hill with some rings and three gold bars. Those gold bars support his coffin and the few who have been able to perceive it before they got mad said the Partideño is sitting there and glaring at you with his cold gaze. Many villagers go up and down in the hills near Pital to obtain those golden bars and steal them, but no one is sure where they are. As my grandpa says some people can find it some not, but something is inevitable if you discover them, and you try appropriating them you will become mad.

The Partideño left a massive treasure valued at millions of dollars. I recall when I was a child in Comalapa, some people discovered a treasure they called: “The crazy slope.”

The Partideño walked around El Salvador, leaving small parts of his treasures hidden in exotic lands where only the most fortunate people could find them. In those days, there were no treasure detectors or any kind of special device for finding them easily. He performed that, until one day he was captured in Guatemala because he cheated on a woman. The Guatemalan Government imprisoned him and died in an old prison.

One day, when I was still a child, I encountered a man from Chalatenango. I don’t recall his name, but I still remember what he told me he dreamed of a man who was able to find his treasure in his path to the flea market in Guatemala.

He told his wife: “Look, woman. I dreamed I found my fortune on the way to the flea market in Guatemala, give me some provisions that I’m going to look for it.”

“What is in your mind! Are you insane? You’re a POOR MAN!” Told his wife to him.

“Just give me some provisions that I’m going, and that’s all.” Told the man again and left his house.

He started walking to the flea market, and when he reached it, he walked around for hours and hours. Later, he started digging holes all near it. He seemed like an insane man.

After three days of digging holes, a man called Juan perceived him from a not-so-far place and thought: “What is going on with him? I’m going to see if he requires some help.”

He approached him and asked him a bunch of questions: “Good morning, good man, do you need something? Is everything alright? I guess you’re not from our lands, right?”

The man told him: “Definitely, sir, I’m from El Salvador. I dreamed that I had a hidden fortune somewhere here. That’s why I’m digging many holes. I’m sure it’s a lot of money!”

“Mister! Mister! You’re the lucky one! I possess Partideño’s last will (figure 1)! Come back to El Salvador. There is a hill called Iramon, and at the bottom of it, you’re going to find a tree of morro, there is the fortune that you’re looking for! I have his last will in my home. What you are looking for is not here in Guatemala. Just go back and ask where the hill is located. You dreamed about it! You won it!”

Figure 1. Partideño’s last will.

And if it was a matter of magic, after asking for many days. Ultimately, he found the hill, exactly where Juan told him. In that place, a man was living next to the tree of morro and discovered the fortune.

When he returned home, his wife said: “So, what happened? Did you find your ‘fortune’?”

The man was glad and said: “Sure woman! I found it, and we’re rich! We are moving to San Salvador to start a new life! Said the man.”

The woman couldn’t believe it. They were rich! At long last, all their debts were going to be paid and no more just tortillas with water! However, she asked a final question: “Who was the previous owner of this treasure? Was it yours?”

And he said: “Well, it was from the Partideño. In Guatemala, someone told me about his last will, and I was the lucky one to discover it, and that’s how I found it.”

“The Partideño? I thought he was only a myth.” Said his wife, really confused. However, she didn't ask or imagine anything else. In the end, who cared they were rich!

As you can imagine, they bought many houses, lands, cows, and many many more things, becoming part of what was entitled the 14 Families and, in my case, I’m just here to tell you, their story.

Inspired by the book “Leyendas Cuentos y Adivinanzas de El Salvador, Bancasa, Banco de Construcción y Ahorro, S.A.” © All rights reserved 1995. The tale is an adaptation of the fairytale told by the storyteller Mr. Pío Lara of Cantón Barahona in La Paz, El Salvador.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Guirola Family

The Cuyancua

Comizahual “The White Woman”